What is Indian Head Massage?
Indian Head Massage is a seated treatment. Despite its name it is not a treatment just for the head. It is applied to the upper part of the body, i.e. the shoulders, upper arms, neck and face, as well as the head. As these areas are vulnerable to the accumulation of stress and tension they greatly enhance the benefits of an Indian Head Massage.
It is a very accessible holistic treatment as it does not require undressing and can be done almost anywhere. It is even suitable for a busy office environment as it can be carried out in an office chair, so is great for workplace well-being. An Indian Head Massage can be carried out with or without oils. For, best results it is more suitable for the massage to be carried out directly on the skin. It can however be carried out over light clothing e.g. a shirt or T-shirt.
A treatment also includes Chakra balancing. Chakras are energy centres and balancing the chakras aids with the flow of energy in and around the body.
Principles of Indian Head Massage
Head Massage is a holistic therapy that has been practiced and developed in India for 1,000s of years. It has evolved from Ayurveda; meaning “life knowledge”, the science and wisdom of life. This ancient healing system is based on the principle that health isn’t just the absence of disease. It aims to balance mind, body and spirit and encourage the body’s natural healing ability. Restoring balance and harmony of mind, body and spirit improves health and wellbeing. This state of balance is known as ‘homeostasis’. Ayurveda recommends the use of a number of practices in order to “live well”. Massage is amongst these practices.
Book a treatment
Why not book yourself a treatment? We have taster treatments available for those curious to try it, or full treatments for those looking for a longer, more deeply relaxing pampering session. Alternatively, try our combination treatment for a session of Reflexology coupled with Indian Head Massage.
What are the benefits of an Indian Head Massage treatment?
- Massage to the scalp may stimulate hair growth by increasing blood supply to the hair follicles.
- Increased circulation of blood improves delivery of nutrients and oxygen to the cells.
- Improved circulation helps to remove lactic acid from muscles, reducing aches and soreness.
- Massage reduces tension and increases flexibility in tense muscles.
- Joint mobility and flexibility in the shoulders, neck and arms can be improved.
- Scalp massage encourages desquamation of skin cells and increases sebum production helping to increase the skin’s natural oil and moisture balance.
- Increased lymphatic flow and blood flow speeds up waste removal and reduces swelling caused by excess fluid in tissue.
- Decreases heart rate, lowers blood pressure and dilates blood vessels allowing them to work more efficiently.
- Helps to boost the immune system through improved production and delivery of white blood cells.
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which reduces the effects of stress.
- Increased blood flow to digestive, urinary and reproductive systems which receive a reduced blood flow in times of stress. This can relieve stress related digestive problems, increase urinary output and elimination of waste and improve function of the reproductive organs.
- Relieves tension.
- Induces relaxation.
- Increases levels of endorphins which elevate mood.
- Reduces stress and anxiety by relaxing mind and body.
- Creates a feeling calmness of wellbeing.
- Helps to improve concentration and alertness by increasing blood supply to the brain.
Why not come and visit us in Talbot Green, opposite Llantrisant Business Park, within easy travel of Tonyrefail, Pontyclun, Beddau , Llantrisant, Rhondda, Church Village and Bridgend? Get in touch to book an Indian Head Massage or purchase an Indian Head Massage gift voucher for yourself or a friend.